Tinnitus: Why You Should Turn Down Those Headphones

Big Advice for those who are busting their ears

What is something nobody tells you, but you wish you knew earlier?

This is a story shared by an Internet user.....

I wish someone told me earlier about the downsides of wearing noise-cancelling headphones.

Today I learned that the high-pitched noise in my ear is tinnitus. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Tinnitus fits the definition of insanity. Imagine every moment of your day being punctuated by a deafening high-pitched noise. That's what my life is now like. 



How it happened

I spent my youth in nightclubs and playing the drums. By my 20s, I gave up music. But I still loved listening to music and pumping tunes. Rewind to two years ago. My girlfriend gifted me a pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones. I've said many times online that these headphones help me get into a deep flow state and block out all the noise.

The problem is I picked it up. I've worn the headphones most days for the last 2 years during the entire 8-hour workday. 2.5 weeks ago, the high-pitched noise I used to get after work stopped going away like it normally does. I saw the doctor today and got told it's tinnitus. Oh. and there's no cure.

Takeaway. 

Wearing headphones every day can screw up you. Lower the volume of your music (by a lot). Take breaks from headphones. Have days where you don't wear headphones. Wear earplugs at loud concerts. Use speakers in your office instead of in-ear headphones. I have no idea how I'm going to live with this. But I must.

Don't be a doofus like I was. You get one pair of ears. Look after them.

 Plus

We're now in the era of earbuds and are seeking louder and louder earbuds. so remember to keep in mind to occasionally remove your earbuds and keep them at a reasonably low volume so that you do not damage your ears. 


Post a Comment

0 Comments